Before we built our house 2 years ago, we visited a few models, and when we visited the model that we ended up choosing, I walked into the master bedroom and was a little confused. Not confused in a bad way, ha! I was just trying to figure out where I was when I entered the room. Basically, you walk through the door and you’re in a hallway of sorts. Off of the hallway is the bathroom, the closet and a small alcove, then you enter the bedroom. It’s this small alcove that’s been, dare I say, annoying me for the past 2 years! What do you do with a random alcove in a hallway that’s technically in a bedroom??? It felt weird to put a console table there with no actual purpose since Greg and I would pretty much be the only people that would see it. Did I mention that I’m weird like that…everything has to have a purpose and function. I can’t deal with it otherwise!
So, I found the solution at an auction (of course!). We were looking for a dresser and I ended up finding 2 dressers and the second one was small enough to fit in the alcove…problem solved!
Just added a few more pics to give you an idea of the space with the alcove. I hung a mirror above the dresser, but I felt like the color of the mirror and dresser were too similar. I toyed around with the idea of painting the mirror, but had cold feet for a while because I was afraid I’d ruin it. Nothing like starting a blog to get your feet moving though, so I bit the bullet and painted it! I got my inspiration from this mirror.
I decided to use some paint that I had on hand, Sherwin Williams in Crisp Linen. It’s a little bit creamier than a bright white and since I was going to distress it, I thought this color worked well for that antiqued look.
I gave it two coats and then lightly sanded the edges with a fine grit sanding block.
Here’s the finished product!
I always try and use what I have on hand. It worked out well for me this time. This quick update cost me $3.99 for a sanding block and $7 for the flowers!